• slidebg1

Gummy smile

I’ve been extremely self-conscious about my gummy smile. My teeth are relatively small compared to the excessive display of gum tissue when I smile. A technique called “crown lengthening” has been quite popular in periodontal plastic surgery. I would like to know more about this procedure and whether it is recommended in my case?

Hello. A gummy smile could be due to several factors such as abnormal growth of the teeth and development of the jaw or due to the shape and thickness of your lips or even due to your facial muscles which could be creating unnecessary tension in your upper lip when you smile, thereby pulling it up higher than would be considered normal and thereby exposing the gums. You are right that crown-lengthening is a popular procedure to address this but whether this procedure is right for you or not depends on the root cause of your gummy smile. If the root cause is inadequate eruption of the teeth from the gum tissue then a crown-lengthening would be suitable. In this procedure, a Periodontist (a dentist that specializes in gums and soft tissue) will remove the excess gum tissue to expose more of the teeth. The greater exposed surface of the teeth and the reduced gum surface area would increase the tooth-to-gum surface area ratio. However, if your gummy smile is due to an abnormality in the jaw then you will also need to undergo what is called a maxillofacial surgery to reposition the jaw bone. Here is a good resource to learn more about the various procedures that can be used to correct excessive gum display: https://www.yourdentistryguide.com/gummy-smile/